Sunday, August 29, 2010

Birth Story- with probably way too much information

Aunt Sarah


Brinley and mommy

Big sisters!
Brinley said "Mom, why is my brother black?" Haha
Heading to the hospital

His poor bruised and swollen little face

This pregnancy was so much different than with my 2 girls. Dang boys!! At 34 weeks I was diagnosed with polyhydramnios (excessive amniotic fluid) and little Ethan was transverse breech (laying sideways!) So after a "routine" doctors appointment, I was put on light bed rest and Dr. Jones said I needed to stop working. I was having contractions and they were concerned about pre-term labor and due to the extra amniotic fluid, I needed to start having fetal monitoring 3 times per week to make sure he wasn't under any stress, his heart rate was normal and monitor his position and my fluid. Now with both my girls, I had relatively easy pregnancies and worked up until the day I had each of them so this totally through me for a loop (and my job!) So each week, thankfully, everything seemed to be normal with Ethan. I just had ALOT of extra fluid so I was pretty miserable. Dr. Jones said I looked like I was having twins (thanks) I really did though. At 38 weeks, Ethan decided to turn the right way so it didn't look like I was going to have to have a C-section (which I was very grateful for). Well my due date came and went and I was SO disappointed. I was to the point where I felt like everytime I would bend over my skin was going to rip. I really couldn't have gotten any bigger. 1 week past my due date I was induced.
When I got to the hospital at 9am, I was already dilated to a 4 and everything looked like it was going to go really smooth. After about an hour or so of being on Pitocin, they came in to check me and the nurse thought she could feel a hand or something by his face! Well turns out it was his nose. Little stinker was coming out the wrong way AGAIN! At this point they stop the induction and have me sign all of the waivers for a C Section because they thought it might be necessary at this point. Dr. Jones said that I could have him naturally but if he turned slightly the wrong way, I would definitely have to have a C Section. It was a 50/50 chance. So they just decided to stop all the Pitocin and everything and just let nature take it's course and see what happens. They broke my water which was a little crazy because I had so much extra fluid, it just kept coming and coming. Sorry I know this is gross, but the nurse yelled at Jason to grab extra towels. She said she hadn't ever seen that much fluid. It was actually a little scary because it felt like it wouldn't ever stop ( and I thought Jason was going to pass out haha). Let's just say I am so grateful it didn't break on it's own in public! They gave me my epidural (thank you!) and we waited. Ethan's heart rate kept going up and down. Finally I felt it was time and it looked like I could deliver naturally. They said this would be a really tough delivery becasue of his position. The delivery was actually really easy, just a few pushes and he was out FACE FIRST. The nurses were in awe because the first thing to come out were his lips. They warned me that if I delivered vaginally he would be really bruised and swollen and he was. He looked perfect to us though. He was born at 3:49pm and weighed 8lbs 5 ozs and was perfectly healthy!

3 comments:

Mandy Frehner said...

Oh my goodness! That is crazy to see his little face so bruised! Poor guy. Hey is so handsome. And your girls are beautiful holding him! Congratulations. I love new babies:)

McKinna said...

Congrats again!!

Jaden and Stacy said...

Oh poor little guy! His little bruised face made me so sad. I am so glad that he is all good though. I totally know how you felt with having to much fluid. I had the same thing and Kysa didn't turn so I had the C section. I am glad that both you and the baby are fine. I loved that your girls asked why he was black! LOL! Too funny! Congrats on the beautiful baby boy!